Credit: PTE TTK Földrajzi Intézet
- Duration of training: Full - Time 2 years/ 4 semesters (120 Credits)
- Deadline of application: NONE
- Starting date: Course will not be started in the next academic year
- Tuition fee: 8000 Euro/academic year (consists of 2 semesters)
- Non-refundable application fee: 140 Euro
- Instruction Language: English
- Head of the Institute: Szabolcs Ákos FÁBIÁN associate professor
- Academic Coordinator: Éva MÁTÉ lecturer
Description of the program:
During this 4-semester Master's degree program, our students will focus on Geographic Information System (GIS) methods and remote sensing tools applications. They will have the opportunity to join in and participate in research and scientific projects run by IGES. The Institute has research collaborations with global companies and international relations with research groups from Switzerland, Poland, Spain, Slovenia, China, and the US. These projects may provide internships for our students to experience the international atmosphere and scientific skills and knowledge.
The master's program provides a broad spectrum of GIS, Earth observation, CAD, WebGIS, Database management, GIS programming surface modeling, and 3D visualization-related disciplines for all international students. The program also includes a six-week professional practice at self-selected private and public businesses and companies, however, the practice is also available at the university and at the IGES. By completing the professional practice, the student will gain a broad range of practical and project management skills and knowledge to explain, analyze, interpret and execute various planning programs.
Why should you study Geoinformatics MSc at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Pécs?
GIS (Geographic Information System) is the cutting-edge science and device, which helps create, manage, analyze, and map all types of data. GIS helps users understand patterns, relationships, and geographic context. The benefits include improved communication and efficiency as well as better management and decision-making. Being a topic of such a broad aspect it offers opportunities for gaining general and specific knowledge in any spatial sciences and a great selection for jobs in various fields.
- Demonstrated evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency. Certified B2 intermediate English knowledge
- Motivation Letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) from 3000 to 3500 characters
- CV in English
- Transcript of previous studies (and their English translation)
- The payment receipt of the application fee of 140 Euro
- Medical certificate, vaccination card (showing that you are immunized against HEP B and HIV test)
- Obtained BSc degree as follows:
After you have submitted/uploaded all the required documents, a professor from the IGES will contact you to suggest a date for a Skype interview.
Typical questions that can come up during the interviews:
- Why did you choose the University of Pécs?
- How do you see your English level?
- Which subject/what did you study for your bachelor's degree?
- At which university did you get your degree? And when did you get it?
- What was the topic of your BSc diploma?
- What grade did you get for your Thesis defense?
- What was your GPA during your BSc studies?
- What is your preferred topic within Geography/Physical Geography?
- Do you have any previous experience with any GIS-related computer software?
- How will you finance your studies and your living over here in Pécs?
- What are your future career plans after graduating from UP?
- 1st year
- Geographical Applications of GIS
- Modeling and simulations in geosciences
- Surface Modelling
- GIS Programming
- Physical Principles of Remote Sensing
- Earth observation
- Spatial databases
- GIS Hardware Assembly & Testing
- Application of CAD systems in Earth sciences practice
- Legal norms and regulation of GIS
- 2nd year
- Geologic process modeling
- Earth Observation
- GIS Programming
- Application of photogrammetric and geoinformatic methods in hydrological modeling practice
- 3D Visualization
- GIS Project
Future Job Opportunities:
A degree in geography from the University of Pécs opens many new doors in terms of your career choices. Due to the GIS knowledge, students may find jobs where the application of either GIS or any related fields is indispensable. Therefore, students may find their future career as a GIS specialist, agrarian database analyst, emergency management specialist, surveyor and location analyst, pollution analyst, remote sensing analyst, business/marketing analyst and WebGIS expert, among many other jobs out at the job market.