- Duration of training: Full - Time 2 years/ 4 semesters (120 Credits)
- Deadline of application: NONE
- Starting date: 1/September (autumn enrollment only)
- Tuition Fee: 8000 Euro/academic year (consists 2 semesters)
- Non-refundable application fee: 140 Euro
- Instruction Language: English
- Head of the Institute: Szabolcs Ákos FÁBIÁN associate professor
- Academic Coordinator: Szabolcs CZIGÁNY associate professor
Description of the program:
During this 4-semester Master's degree program, our students will focus on GIS methods and remote sensing tools applied in surface geomorphology both in a classroom environment and in the field. They will have the opportunity to join in and participate in research and scientific projects run by IGES. The Institute has research collaborations with global companies like ESA and SARMap, and international relations with research groups from Switzerland, Poland, Spain, Slovenia, China, and the US. These projects may provide internships for our students to experience the international atmosphere and scientific skills and knowledge.
The master's program provides a broad spectrum of geography and related disciplines and combines environmental geography, geomorphology, and GIS for all international students. The program also includes a six-week professional practice at self-selected private and public businesses and companies, however, the practice is also available at the university and at the IGES. By completing the professional practice, the student will gain a broad range of practical and project management skills and knowledge to explain, analyse, interpret and execute various planning programs.
Why should you study Geography MSc at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Pécs?
Geography is the study of the world we live in, its environments, landscapes and natural disasters, and the relationship between people and environments.
One of the most broad-ranging subjects, geography is a mix of social and physical sciences, combining the study of the planet’s physical properties with a focus on societies and the mutual interaction between the physical, social and human aspects. Being a topic of such a broad aspect it offers opportunities for gaining a general knowledge in any spatial sciences and a great selection for jobs of various fields.
- Demonstrated evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency. Certified B2 intermediate English knowledge
- Motivation Letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) from 3000 to 3500 characters
- CV in English
- Transcript of previous studies (and their English translation)
- Motivation letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) from 3000 to 3500 characters
- The payment receipt of the application fee of 140 €
- Medical certificate, vaccination card (showing that you are immunized against HEP B and HIV test)
- Obtained BSc degree as follows:
|BSc degree from the training field of Geography||Full credit value counting. No extra credit is needed.|
|In case the BSc degree was obtained from the training field of Earth Sciences, or Environmental Sciences; or Earth Science Engineering; or Environmental Engineering; or Land Surveying and Land Management Engineering; or Landscape Management and Garden Construction Engineering; or Tourism and Catering; the enrollment into the master's degree program is conditional||The minimum number of credits required to enter the Master's program is 65 credits from the listed area as below:
- at least 10 credits from Natural Science subjects;
- at least 10 credits from Social Science and Economics subjects;
- at least 45 credits from Geography subjects.
|If the applicant could not collect the minimum 65 credits, it is required for the applicant to have at least 45 credits in the listed areas based on his/her previous studies. And the missing credits must be obtained and completed during the master's studies as specified in the Code of Studies and Examinations of the University of Pécs.|
After you have submitted/uploaded all the required documents, a professor from the IGES will contact you to suggest a date for a Skype interview.
Typical questions that can come up during the interviews:
- Why did you choose the University of Pécs?
- How do you see your English level?
- Which subject/what did you study for your bachelor's degree?
- At which university did you get your degree? And when did you get it?
- What was the topic of your BSc diploma?
- What grade did you get for your Theses defence?
- What was your GPA during your BSc studies?
- What is your preferred topic within Geography/Physical Geography?
- Do you have any previous experience with any GIS-related computer software?
- How will you finance your studies and your living over here in Pécs?
- What are your future career plans after graduating from UP?
- 1st year
- Geographical Applications of GIS
- Landscape Ecology and Land Evaluation
- Geographical Approaches in Regional Development
- GIS Programming I.
- Space, Society, and Sustainability
- Regional Geography of the Continents
- Engineering and Anthropogenic Geomorphology
- 2nd year
- Earth Observation
- Geomorphic Systems
- Surface Modelling
- Applied Geomorphological Mapping
- Practical Applications of GIS
- Diploma Work Practice
Future Job Opportunities:
A degree in geography from the University of Pécs opens many new doors in terms of your career choices. Due to the Geomorphology/GIS specialization, students may find jobs where the application of either geomorphology, GIS, or any related fields are indispensable. Therefore, students may find their future career as a geomorphologist, geospatial analyst, GIS specialist, climate change analyst, climatologist, emergency management specialist, hydrologist, location analyst, meteorologist, pollution analyst, remote sensing analyst, soil conservationist, surveyor, town planner, and water conservation officer, among many other jobs out at the job market.