Credit: Halmai Ákos
Earth Sciences BSc
- Duration of training: Full-time 3 years/6 semesters (180 Credits)
- Deadline of application: NONE
- Starting date: Course will not be started in the next academic year
- Tuition Fee: 5000Euro/academic year (consists of 2 semesters)
- Non-refundable application fee: 140 Euro
- Head of the Institute: Dr Szabolcs Ákos FÁBIÁN associate professor
- Academic Coordinator: Dr Gábor PIRISI associate professor
Description of the program:
The IGES offers you general and fundamental scientific knowledge to understand the mutually interrelated processes of Earth Sciences. You may familiarize yourself with a wide array of disciplines including the principles of geology, meteorology, astronomy, climatology and hydrology. And, you will learn the methods used in Earth Sciences, and you will make connections with laboratory microscopes, geology hammers in the field and computer models in the office.
You may specialize in the field of geology to explore the deeper correlations of subsurface dynamics and how recent landforms have evolved over geologic timescales. This is all done and conveyed to you by a young and dynamic team of faculty in a custom-designed and student-specific training algorithm.
- Obtained High School leaving certificate
- Good grades in School leaving examination/A-levels, especially in Geography (It must be equivalent to the Hungarian grade of 4 or 5, in percentage it should be above 80%)
- Demonstrated evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency
- Medical certificate, vaccination card (showing that you are immunized against HEP B, C) and HIV test, and results of Chest X-Ray
- Europass CV in English
- Motivation letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) in 3000 to 3500 characters
- Copy of valid passport or national ID
- The applicant must turn 18 years old or should be older by the day of enrolment in the current BSc study program
- 1st year
- Chemistry basics lecture I.& II.
- Physics basics lecture I. & II.
- Introduction to Geology practice & lecture
- Remote sensing lecture
- Historical geology and paleontology lecture
- Geomorphology lecture
- 2nd year
- Introduction to hydrology and hydrogeology practice and lecture
- Field measurements, documentation, geological mapping practice
- Analytical techniques in geology practice
- Introduction to hydrometeorology practice
- Petrographic microscopy practice
- Mineralogy practice
- 3rd year
- Data acquisition methods practice
- Structural geology practice & lecture
- Construction of geological maps and sections practice
- Economic geology lecture
- Introduction to ArcGIS practice
- Degree works/Thesis writing
Future Job Opportunities:
IGES Earth Scientists at the University of Pécs have a particularly good track record of securing excellent employment in various businesses, as well as private and public companies, including various water management companies, environmental protection enterprises, national parks, local governments, and in the diverse fields of regional development. The popularity of our students in the job market is partly due to the significant project management skills they develop by undertaking their supported dissertation research.
Also keep in mind that our training focuses on expertise and skills that are adaptable to altered job market demands, with which you may plan your future career in a flexible manner.
By studying this degree, a range of career opportunities are open to you.
For example, you could work in:
- energy sector (including renewables)
- petroleum exploration, and greenhouse gas sequestration
- natural resources (mining and mineral resources)
- land and water management
- risk and hazard management
- environmental planning and regulation
- environmental consultancy
- sustainability consultancy
- science communication and education